A PDF version OF MY CV/resume is available here.
ALAN J. (AJ) KELTON
firstname.lastname@example.org w 56 Clinton Ave, Kearny, NJ 07032 w 201-748-9744
New York University, New York, NY
Ph.D. Educational Communication and Technology, ABD (May ’15), December 2016 (anticipated)
Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
M.A. English/Writing Studies Program, January 2004
B.A. English/American Literature Program, January 1998
College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS), Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ
Director, CHSS Emerging & Instructional Technology (E&IT) April 2008 – Present
- Provide leadership to the CHSS in the area of academic technology by establishing and expanding the E&IT unit (eit.montclair.edu) and working with instructors to identify ways to apply, adopt, and develop academic technology.
- Advise and inform the CHSS administration regarding the status of hybrid and online learning, including an ongoing project looking at ways to reduce the high percentage of WD grades in online and hybrid courses, as well as issues regarding academic technology.
- Appointed by the provost to serve on Montclair State’s Online Program Development Team, convened to: investigate the university’s position in the online market, design and develop administrative, academic, and technology plans for initial program implementation, and successfully implement MSU’s first two fully online programs.
- Initiated and directed CHSS social media efforts until a full-time college-based communications position was created and filled.
- Represented the CHSS across campus on various projects and committees (see University Service).
- Designed, developed, and implemented web-based assessment process for CHSS hybrid and online courses.
- Supervise 10 part-time student staff and co-op interns from various departments
- Consulted with the Dean/Associate Dean of MSU’s College of Education and Human Services (CEHS) regarding the CEHS’s virtual world presence and worked with CEHS and CHSS faculty to develop, design, and build course components
Director, CHSS Technology Services June 2003 – April 2008
- Managed the expansion and conversion of the CHSS Administrative and Educational Technology into the CHSS Technology Services Unit
- Supervised the provision of technology and help desk services and support to over 400 full-time faculty members, adjunct instructors, administrators, and staff
- Supervised three full-time staff and four part-time student staff
Special Assistant to the Dean November 1997 – June 2003
- Database design and upkeep for CHSS administrative needs
- Established the CHSS Tech Team (help desk support) in 1999, which would be expanded and renamed the Administrative and Educational Technology unit in 2000.
- Executive Director of Online and Extended Learning Search Committee 2014 – Present
- University Senate Professional Staff Representative 2004 – 2007 & 2013 – Present
- University Senate Administrative Affairs Council Chair 2013 – Present
- University Senate Academic Technology Committee 1998 – Present
Chair 2001 – 2003 & 2008 – 2010
- Institutional Repository Task Force 2014 – 2015
- Quality Matters Institutional Representative 2010 – 2014
- Canvas Review Core Committee (appointed by Provost) 2012 – 2013
- Online Program Development Team (appointed by Provost) 2010 – 2013
- University LMS Working Group (appointed by Provost) 2010 – 2012
- Presidents Commission on Affirmative Action (appointed by President) 2004 – 2007
PROFESSIONAL AND PUBLIC SERVICE
- Journal of Emerging Learning Design – eldj.montclair.edu 2012 – Present
Founder, Managing Editor
- Emerging Learning Design Conference – eld.montclair.edu 2010 – Present
- Virtual Worlds Education Roundtable: 2008 – Present
Founder, Chief Moderator (08 – 12)
- Western Governors University IT Advisory Committee 2008 – 2014
- EDUCAUSE Games and Learning Constituent Group 2010 – 2014
Co-Founder and Co-Leader
- EDUCAUSE Virtual Worlds Constituent Group: 2007 – 2013
Founder and Co-Leader
- EDUCAUSE 2010 Mid-Atlantic Regional Program Committee 2009 – 2010
- Cecil College 2010-2015 Strategic Planning Committee 2009 – 2009
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly Editorial Committee 2005 – 2008
- EDUCAUSE Distributed Technology Support Constituent Group 2002 – 2008
Founder and Co-Leader
Montclair State University
- ENWR100: Introduction to Basic Writing (Fall 1999, Spring 1999, Fall 1998)
- ENWR105: Introduction to College Writing I (Hybrid/Blended): (Spring 2008, Fall 2007)
- ENWR105: Introduction to College Writing I: (Spring 1998)
- ENWR106: College Writing II: Writing and Literary Studies (Spring 2004)
- PSYC199: New Student Seminar (Hybrid/Blended): (Fall 2007, Spring 2007)
- PSYC199: New Student Seminar: (Fall 2006, Spring 2006, Fall 2005)
New York University
- AMLT-GE-2073: Education and Social Reform-South Africa Study Abroad (TA: Summer, 2014)
Focus of current research: formation and composition of groups as a learning methodology
Focus of previously published research: the use of 3D virtual worlds in education.
Kelton, A. (2011). Speaking Personally—With Larry Johnson. American Journal of Distance Education, 25(2), 121-127. doi:10.1080/08923647.2011.568239
Kelton, A. (2011). The View From Here. International Journal of Gaming and Computer Mediated Simulations, 3(1), iii – vii.
Kelton, A. (2009, June 15). Education is Changing. Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://hallnj.org/topics/34-education/110-education-is-changing
Kelton, A. (2008). Virtual Worlds? “Outlook Good.” EDUCAUSE review, 43(5), 14-22. Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/virtual-worlds-outlook-good
Kelton, A. (2007). Second Life: Reaching into the Virtual Worlds for Real World Learning. Boulder, CO: EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research (ECAR). Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/ECAR/SecondLifeReachingintotheVirtu/161863
SELECT PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
Kelton, A. (2013, January). Emerging Pedagogy. Presented at the January 2013 Faculty Retreat, Chaminade University, Honolulu, HI USA.
Kelton, A. (2013, November). Town Hall Meeting on Emerging Instructional Technology and Design. Presented at the SJSU School of Library & Information Sciences Fall 2013 Colloquia, SLIS Island, Second Life.
Kelton, A. (2009, December). The Shifting Landscape: Virtual Worlds in Education. Presented at the Center for Innovative Education 21st Century Learning Conference., Union, NJ, USA.
Kelton, A. (2008, August). Using Tomorrow’s Technology in Today’s Teaching. Presented at the Fundacao do Desenvolvimento Administrativo (FUNDAP), Sao Paulo, Brasil.
Friedlander, B., Kelton, A., & Renfro-Michel, E. (2013, November). Creating the Ideal Classroom: How Student Learn with Tech Access. Presented at the American Conference on Diversity, Montclair State University. Montclair, NJ USA.
Evans, R. & Kelton, A. (2012, November). Digital Access: Technology and the Digital Divide. Presented at the 12th Annual Diversity Issues in Higher Education Conference, Saint Peter’s University. Jersey City, NJ USA.
Fails, J., Festa, G., Ho, T., Kelton, A., Miele, G., & Nicosia, L. (2012, June). Montclair State’s iBooks/iBooks Author Pilot Project. Presented at the Emerging Learning Design Conference, Montclair, NJ USA.
Jorn, L. A., Kelton, A., Lippincott, J. K., & Stuart, C. (2008, October). Emerging Learning Spaces. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, USA.
Joosten, T., Kelton, A., Keyek-Franssen, D., Shapiro, W., & Taylor, S. (2008, October). Assessment in Student Experience in Second Life. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, USA.
Eisert, D., Kelton, A., & Smith-Robbins, S. (2010, October). Down the Rabbit Hole: Augmented and Alternate Reality for Learning. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, USA.
Kelton, A., & Smith-Robbins, S. (2009, November). Web 2.0 and the Changing Face of Education: Hands-On “Prosumer” Education in Practice. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Denver, CO, USA.
Kelton, A., & Smith-Robbins, S. (2008, October). Millennials and Web 2.0: “Prosumer” Education in Practice. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida, USA.
Gerber, E., & Kelton, A. (2014, May). Online vs Face-to-Face: Is there a Significant Difference in Learning Outcomes? Presented at the University Teaching and Learning Showcase, Montclair, NJ USA.
Kelton, A. (2013, March). Research Tools for Higher Ed. Presented at the Google in Education NY/NJ Summit, Kean University. Union, NJ USA.
Bilella, J., Kelton, A., Ritola, B., & Sun, Y. (2011, November). The Online Program Development Team (OPDT): Leadership Through Engaging the Campus Community. Presented at the SLOAN-C International Conference on Online Learning, Orlando, FL, USA.
Joosten, T., Kelton, A., & Ritter, S. (2010, October). Top-10 Questions to Consider When Implementing Social Media: Perspectives of Different Campuses. Presented at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA USA.
Kelton, A. (2009, November). It’s About More Than the Tools. Presented at the President’s National Educational Technology Plan, Second Life.
Kelton, A., Nicosia, L., & Wilson, L. (2009, October). And Justice for All: Using Artificial Environments to Create Community and Teach Diversity. Presented at the National Network for Educational Renewal (NNER) Annual Conference, Bellevue, WA, USA.
Kelton, A., & Renfro-Michel, E. (2008, November). Using Second Life to Teach Difficult Concepts. Presented at the Northeast Connect, Montclair, NJ USA.
Emery, E., Johnson, S., & Kelton, A. (2004, May). Connecting the Dots: Using Videoconferencing as a Bridge for US/Brasilian Educational Exchange. Presented at the Aizen International Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.
Kelton, A., & Salomon, R. (2001, November). Walking the Tightrope: The Distributed Leader. Presented at the Syllabus Fall, Danvers, MA, USA
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2011-2012 May and Samuel Rubin Award – given to NYU Educational Communication and Technology doctoral students who have excelled in their studies and in their commitment to the program and field
- 2009-2010 Erwin and Hazel Dingman Award – established to recognize students in the NYU Department of Administration, Leadership & Technology who show evidence of academic excellence.
- Great Minds … Don’t Think Alike – Fifth Third Private Bank. (n.d.). Retrieved July 6, 2015, from http://curiositymagazine.53.com/articles/great-minds-dont-think-alike
- ERO Video Conversation: Teaching the Net Generation (EDUCAUSE Review) | EDUCAUSE.edu. (n.d.). Retrieved November 1, 2012, from http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/ero-video-conversation-teaching-net-generation
- Sites offering to take courses for a fee pose risk to online ed | Inside Higher Ed. (n.d.). Retrieved September 30, 2012, from http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/09/21/sites-offering-take-courses-fee-pose-risk-online-ed
- Special Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Inside the Avatar Studio with AJ Kelton. (2012, March 14). Inside the Avatar Studio. Retrieved January 22, 2013, from http://www.avatarstudio.info/season-3/aj-kelton-special-virtual-worlds-best-practices-in-education/
- Onwards and Upwards | EdTech Magazine. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://www.edtechmagazine.com/higher/video/onwards-and-upwards?page=1
- 21st Century Classroom Emerges | EdTech Magazine. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://www.edtechmagazine.com/higher/video/educause-10-21st-century-classroom-emerges?page=1
- Education 2.o – not afraid of Second Life! (2010). Retrieved from http://youtu.be/cmSEF-ntdOw
- Podcast: AJ Kelton on Virtual Worlds and the Changing Face of Education | EDUCAUSE. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://www.educause.edu/blog/gbayne/PodcastAJKeltononVirtualWorlds/198990
- Academics Discuss Mass Migration From Second Life – Wired Campus – The Chronicle of Higher Education. (2010, October 14). Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/academics-discuss-mass-migration-from-second-life/27672
- Foster, A. L. (2007, September 21). Professor Avatar. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://chronicle.com/article/Professor-Avatar/30018/